Honestly, I don't remember how to use the DEFINE op-code. You could probably look it up in a manual... but I would consider replacing the RPG III DEFINE opcode (which exists in RPG IV for backcompat) with the DTAARA keyword.

So code like this:

D FshDte s 8p 0 dtaara
/free
in *lock Fshdte;

I'm sure the DEFINE opcode can be made to work as well, but I haven't used that in so long, I can't remember how. I'm too lazy to look it up. Why not use the newer way?

THarteau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

I identified the internal field as packed:
D FshDte S 8P 0 INZ(0) I thought this was the assumed data type, so I normally do not identify it. I am still getting the same error in RSE:
RNF5262E Factor 2 operand has data type that is not allowed for this operation.
But if I compile it in a green screen session, I get the error:
*RNF7064 30 1 The Factor 2 operand of IN or OUT is not a data area.
The data area is in my library list. If I do a WRKOBJ in the *libl, it shows up as:
FSHDTE *DTAARA V64BPCSPGM Last Date Fishmouth Report
This should not be that difficult! Here is my code:
C *DTAARA DEFINE FSHDTE FshDte
C *LOCK IN FshDte 93
Is there something else I need to do to identify it as a data area? I would appreciate any help, thanks!

Terri Harteau
Felker Brothers Corporation
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Ralph Waldo Emerson