I agree there's nothing wrong with using a cursor as needed, but... you don't HAVE to use a cursor here. you could do this:

C eval W$SQLCmd = 'Values( Select '+ PARM5
C + ' from '+ PARM1
C + ' Where '+ PARM3 +'=?'
C + ') into ?';
C/Exec SQL Prepare MYSTMT from :W$SQLCmd
C/End-Exec
C/Exec SQL Execute MYSTMT Using :PARM4, :WRKFLD
C/End-Exec

Personally, trying to code this in fixed-format RPG causes my stomach to churn :) But it should work without needing a cursor...

The danger of an SQL injection attack might be rather high if the PARMxxx variables don't come from a trusted source, and you haven't sanitized them.

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Just to repeat, you should check SQLSTT after every exec sql statement. See my sample earlier.

Also, since you cannot do a 'select into' on a prepared statement you will have to use a cursor.