From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Christen, Duane
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2009 9:54 AM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: INZ in all D-specs : Was Problem with moving Data Structures

Bruce wrote: "... In fact, it is good practice to use INZ in all D-specs unless you have a good reason not to."

I completely disagree, personally I believe it is bad practice to use INZ. IMO if you are accessing a variable/DS before you have written data to it your logic is incorrect and needs to be addressed. There are exceptions of course, in my experience these occur most often with date/time/timestamps and constant values where the compiler will not allow you to use a CONST variable.

Any other thoughts?

Duane Christen

--

[http://www.paetec.com/eSignature/My_PAETEC_signature_r1_c1.gif]