Point well-taken. However, I'm working in a vendor situation - as much as possible, we want to avoid making the customer have to recompile anything that uses a *SRVPGM we distribute. Therefore, I don't use a version number. If I needed to force recompilation, I'd use some rename of the signature - perhaps a version number that's not there now.

Nonetheless, IBM do not typically use version numbers. Not that they are the be-all-and-end-all!!

Vern

Scott Klement wrote:
The problem with using the srvpgm name is that you can't DELIBERATELY force a signature error for old callers. What if you decide to remove a procedure, and want to force all existing callers to rebind?

that's why I use the srvpgm name plus a version number. that way, if you want to break compatibility you change the version number.

Signatures are 16 characters long anyway. You aren't saving anything by leaving off the version...

Vern Hamberg wrote:
Similar practice here - for me, anyhow - and if I really need to add exported procedures, just list them at the end of the source I have already.

As to hard-coded signatures, IBM often use the service program name - you can't tell it by looking, unless you know your EBCDIC really well, because the signature is shown as the character representation of the hexadecimal of the signature you specify.

Each service program will likely be unique, with some assumptions made, so the signature will be, as well.

HTH
Vern

BMay@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
The order the exports are exported has nothing to do with the order they are coded in the module. If you hand code the original binder source, put them in what ever order you want. If you do an export all, they will be alphabetical.
I'm actually pretty lazy. So when I create a new service program, I usually compile it with an export *all, use RTVBNDSRC, change the signature to something generic, and then recompile the service program using the modified binder source. This is much faster and less error prone than manually typing the binder source for a new service program. Especially if there are a lot of exports.

Brian May
Project Lead
Management Information Systems
Garan, Incorporated
Starkville, Mississippi

Young i Professionals
http://www.youngiprofessionals.com

Michael_Schutte@xxxxxxxxxxxx Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/09/2009 09:47 AM
Please respond to
RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: Service programs and QSRVSRC

thanks... Brian!!! Excellent!!!! I retrieved the binder source for the
production version of the service program, added my new modules and
compile to the test environment. Then called a production program that
used the service program, it called the newly created one without any
problems. Didn't need to recompile. Excellent again!!! Saved me about a
minute worth of recompiles to 15 pgms that were using the srvpgm.

I was concerned though that the rtvbndsrc didn't retrieve the exports in
the order that I have them layed out in module. the rtvbndsrc had it in
alphabetical order. I suppose that would happen since the first compile
was with an export all.

--

Michael Schutte
Admin Professional

Try Bob Evans GRILLING SAUSAGE! This summer?s hottest destination is your
own backyard with Bob Evans Brats and Italian Sausage! For tasty recipes
using Bob Evans grilling sausage, visit http://www.BobEvans.com/Recipes

BMay@xxxxxxxxx Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@ To
midrange.com RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx> cc
10/09/2009 10:12 AM Subject
Re: Service programs and QSRVSRC Please respond to RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@midrang e.com>

Use RTVBNDSRC to build the binder source based on the existing exports.
Then you can make your changes and recompile without recompiling
everything.

Brian May
Project Lead
Management Information Systems
Garan, Incorporated
Starkville, Mississippi

Young i Professionals
http://www.youngiprofessionals.com

Michael_Schutte@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/09/2009 08:44 AM
Please respond to
RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Service programs and QSRVSRC

I've created this service program awhile ago without using the QSRVSRC, I
just told the compiler to export all. Well now, I'm adding new procedures
to the program and I was just wondering if I could now use the binding
source providing the new "current" interface and the previous and not have
to recompile the existing programs using the srvpgm? Or am I screwed
since
I didn't use the binding source on the first compile? FYI, I am going to
be
using binding sources for now on as now I see the benefit.

--

Michael Schutte
Admin Professional

Try Bob Evans GRILLING SAUSAGE! This summer?s hottest destination is your
own backyard with Bob Evans Brats and Italian Sausage! For tasty recipes
using Bob Evans grilling sausage, visit http://www.BobEvans.com/Recipes
list