Joe Wells wrote:
While testing yesterday, the connection timed out.
Netstat showed that the local ip was bb.bb.bb.bbb. This is why it would not
connect.

No. This isn't why it wouldn't connect. Instead, it's a symptom of the fact that something is wrong with your routing table. It won't connect because the system has chosen the wrong route to get to the remote server. Using the wrong route caused it to pick the wrong network interface and therefore IP address. It also caused it not to connect.

I tried again this morning and it used aa.aa.aa.aa and it ran fine.
I will try to get the hospital network folks to open up bb.bb.bb.bbb like
aa.aa.aa.aa,

Why would you do that?! That's your only assurance that it's using the correct route (and therefore going through the encrypted tunnel.) You need to FIX your routing so that data goes through the protected tunnel. Your reaction to this is to allow non-protected data?

Unless I'm misunderstanding the situation?

In theory, I understand what Michael is suggesting. Unfortunately, I am new
to sockets and am struggling with how/where to specify the ip address. The
bind() that is called in the server program does not specify an ip, only a
port.

Set sin_addr to the IP address (in binary form) you want to bind to. It's not any different from when you set the address in the same structure when you use it with connect()