Thanks, Stu. It is kind of nice to know that "Monitor" SHOULD be catching
this error...

When I debugged through the code, "Monitor" did handle it correctly. Maybe
it was a bad compile?????

Also, thanks for your solution. I thought about it, but I hate to add
another variable just for this test - mostly because it is annoying to
have to work around something that SHOULD be working. I think I will wait
to see if it happens again. Sarbanes compliance makes minor program mods
like this a pain.

Kerry,

Here's how I might do it without regard to any status code.
Honest, I've never had an RPG run-time exception that monitor did not
catch.

D MinutesLate S 5p 0
D realMinutes S 20u 0

MinutesLate = *hival;
realMinutes = *hival;

monitor;
realMinutes = %diff( %timestamp: LateTS: *minutes );
on-error;
endmon;

if realMinutes < MinutesLate;
MinutesLate = realMinutes;