From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Tuesday, 22 September 2009 5:45 AM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: Creating SQL Stored Procedures and Trigger programswithout
DB2Query Manager and SQL Development Kit...

Hello,

You lose nothing by not being able to retrieve exactly what is done
with
the precompiler. There are things that the SQL CLI does that the
precompiler cannot but there is nothing in the reverse (IMHO). And
I've
never used SQL CLI.

I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying here... but there are
at least two things the precompiler does that CLI cannot:

a) It does part of the work at compile (or pre-compile) time. CLI has
to do all of the work at runtime.

b) External stored procedures using embedded SQL can return result sets
via the "Set result sets" function. This capability doesn't exist in
CLI.

c) CLI has trouble when you have more than one program using CLI in the
call stack. If you open a CLI environment, then call another program
that tries to allocate a new environment (such as CPYTOIMPF) the second
open will fail. (You have to close the environment in the first program

before calling the 2nd.)

On the other hand, CLI:

a) Lets you get the result set (not just parameters) from a stored
procedure call.

b) Is included with IBM i, nothing else to buy.

c) follows the industry-standard CLI API (ODBC compliant), so apps
written to use it (in particular, C programs) can be made platorm
neutral.

Hope that helps someone :)