Tim:

If you want to clean up the data as Dale suggested, one way is to do as he suggests and write individual programs for each file. Another way is to do it more generically. A couple years ago I wrote a utility to fix decimal data errors on any file, as long as it was either externally described or you had a template file to use as your map. You can find it at:

http://www.itjungle.com/fhg/fhg061307-story01.html

The command will allow you to print a report of fields with decimal data errors, change fields with errors to all *ZEROS, or both. You can replace the data in the production file (you'll need an exclusive lock on the file) or make a "corrected" copy of the data. The code can be downloaded for free. If you decide to go that route and have any other questions, feel free to contact me on-list or off-list and I'll be happy to help.

Of course, the real problem is with the application putting invalid data into the file. If you fix the data today at noon, by 12:15 more bad data could have been added. If you don't have control over fixing the program, fixing the data may be your best bet, even repeatedly.

HTH,
--Bruce Guetzkow