Thanks Simon.

-----Message d'origine-----
De : rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] De la part de Simon Coulter
MyProc (
client_number :
' ' :
0 :
client_info :
more_client_info :
' ' :
);

Here one can only presume that the parameters with ' ' or 0 aren't
used.

Incorrect presumption. They are being used but they are only
input values.

That's what I meant by <only presume> as opposed to <know>.

I would prefer to see named constants being used. Ask what
does a blank client type mean and define a suitable named
constant. What does 0 mean? What does the second blank mean?
Derive names and use them instead--self documenting.

Got an example of a constant to replace a parameter that is only on the list to comply with the prototype?

I just wondered if this is what *OMIT is for?

RTFM will help you with that. *OMIT means the parameter is
omitted--it has no value. A null pointer is being passed. The
receiver has to be written to cope with that.

Was going to ask you what RTFM meant but knew how much you hate it when people don't look things up first. So I googled RTFM and got a shock. I don't think you were referring to Réseaux Télématique Francophonie Multimedia.

Anyway, IIRC, the FM says that the special value *OMIT will be passed. I guess that by passing *OMIT, I am expressly stating that the caller must not use the parameter. So in my view this seems to be the best way.