David

You do really need a change management system! Or a cross-reference tool!

OK - I said it!

But since you don't, think about how things are defined in RPG IV source. You will have to use a program to read through each record of the source member. You know how to specify different members to be processed, I know.

First, a prototyped main is going to have PR in a certain position of D specs. So you have a test for a prototype. Then the name will be the same as the program - it will be 10 characters and somewhere near the beginning of the D spec with PR in the right place.

As to global variables, well, they are in D specs outside of any subprocedures. As soon as you hit a P spec, you are done working with global variables.

This is a quick think on the process - there are probably other issues. You might want to find any program-defined variables, if any are still in use. Don't assume anything. Those defined in the main procedure are global, I think. I don't remember whether one can have program-defined variables in subprocedures - haven't used such a variable in maybe a decade, at least.

HTH
Vern

David FOXWELL wrote:
Hi,

Would anyone know of a way to extract a list of programs having prototyped main procedures and then extract the global variables from that program?

We have a nightly updated file which is the product of DSPMOD. I can get the programs I want from that, if the procedure name matches the module name and the programmer has named the prototype that way. To see the global variables I'm recompiling the source and reading the compiler listing.

Thanks.