From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Charles Wilt
Sent: 15 July 2009 15:43
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: Updating Text Data in a Stream File

It's a "stream file"...just a stream of bytes. You can't insert data or
delete data from it.

You'd have to read the data from one file and write it out to another
taking care to not write the final two bytes.

You'd probably be better off simply creating the file yourself. Plus
it'd perform better.

I'm surprised your Windows app has a problem with the final CRLF, there
really isn't a "null line" as displayed by your text editor, look at the
file in hex to see that it simply ends after the final x'0D0A'

I'd be very surprised if an app that can't handle a final CRLF can
handle having those two bytes being x'0000'

You might check with the app, but perhaps it would work with a different
record delimiter. Or perhaps you can use DTAFMT(*FIXED)

HTH,
Charles

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 10:06 AM, McCully, Keith (Insurance, Technology