I'm what you would probably consider a "new school" RPG guy coming from a
background of more modern object oriented and C syntactical languages. I
only started writing in RPG about 5 years ago. In those C style languages,
UPPER and lower case has either somewhat strict meaning (Java) or the case
is at least understood as standard for having somewhat of a meaning (of
course it is not strictly enforced). So there is something about the fixed
format lines being in upper case (like the D or the PR) that really erks
me. It attracts attention to the less important parts of the code, in my
opinion.

Take the example below. If UPPER CASE attracts attention, then if you are
scanning a 10k line module full of procedures, what stands out? In my
opinion, its everything but the important part, the procedure name, but I
guess I could chalk that up to being so used to my own standard. Then
there's the over crowding... let the code breathe some; it's much easier
to digest later.

D*--------------------------------------------------
D* Procedure name: ProcedureName
D* Purpose: Purpose of this procedure
D* Returns: Return indicator for success or failure
D* Parameter: parameter1 => This is parameter number 1
D*--------------------------------------------------
D ProcedureName PR N EXTPROC(EXTERNALPROCEDURENAME)
D parameter1 32A CONST

That is why I use snippets rather than the wizards, because I can really
have a higher level of control over how I present my source.

As you can see, I am pretty picky when it comes to my source code though,
so I figure I must be the minority. If I can take anything from the
feedback of the shop I work in, my level of scrutiny over it is more than
is usually in RPG shops, at least from their experience. The wizards are
great for those who don't mind StuFF BeING IN Caps aLl OVER the place
deTraCTinG fROM thE mesSAgE, but I prefer using case to imply and attract
attention to more important areas of the source code.

Sorry for getting off topic a bit here. I guess I am venturing into strict
coding standards more than just a procedure definition, but oh well.

Thanks,
Robert Newton
EDPS
Electronic Data Processing Services