1 - Write access only.
Yes that confuses me a little also. Keep in mind that the point of this
exit point is to scan new files created on the IFS for virus. While I
won't get into the debate on whether or not the i is immune to virus it
can host viruses and spread them to other platforms. For example I could
download a virus on my pc, copy that .exe file to a directory on my i and
have another pc download it. Bytware's software is designed to fire off
when that file is uploaded and virus scan it. But, getting back to the
point. If it didn't check stuff for write access only don't you think
that virus checking would be a little lame?
Byteware does NOT have a never ending program out there checking certain
directories on a periodic basis. It uses this exit point.

Which brings us to your earlier question: How does it get fired off? What
IBM did was modify the close() api. So basically anything that writes to
stream files (stuff not in QSYS.LIB) uses the close() api. At the end of
the close() api it checks WRKREGINF QIBM_QP0L_SCAN_CLOSE for an exit
program. If one exists then it calls that program passing all the
parameters specified in that exit point. Understand?

I've not used that exit point but I have used all the ftp exit points. So
before anyone does any ftp operation (like get, put, cd, etc) I see if
they are authorized to that. For example, I forbid anyone from
downloading from the same directory they can upload to. Stops them from
sharing their password on the internet and turning our ftp site into a
storage area for music or objectionable material.

Rob Berendt