On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 10:30 AM, James Lampert
Hmm. Sounds like you were taught by a fanatical disciple of Wirth.

I was taught by fanatical disciples of Edsger Dijkstra.

The DO loop's invariant is important in making code
self-documenting - to me, use of an ITER or LEAVE
is cheating. But if I ever find a circumstance where
such use makes code more readable/maintainable,
I won't hesitate to use them (just like GOTO).

So much of this boils down to stylistic preferences,
but people get picky about the strangest stuff.

Chris

P.S. I still reread Wirth's _Algorithms + Data
Structures = Programs_ regularly, along with
(by other authors) _Elements of Programming
Style_, _The Mythical Man Month_ and the
Dragon book. Some things never change.

Dijkstra's "The GOTO Statement Considered
Harmful" (http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/ewd02xx/EWD215.PDF)
should be reread monthly.