From: Adam West <adamster@xxxxxxxxx>
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, November 8, 2008 6:05:43 PM
Subject: What do programmers do in new system?

Hi We are looking at some new software, RPG based systems, such as Infor, VAI, IBS, Lawson, and other Windows based.

For the RPG based packages, from what I can see, there is a very serious functionality that to my eye will cost us one or more programmers.

We are 5 older programmers supporting an entire home grown package. I can't see what it is I will be doing once this thing is installed. Most reports can be done by the users, and more importantly, the nature of the database is such that mistakes are less prone to happen. Not to say we have many fires to put out but they do occur.

For example, most of what we do, will not be needed as it will be handled more efficiently.

I know that this sounds almost as a joke, but it's a serious pro-active concern I have. After an install period and maybe another 6 months I would be worried.

Perhaps those who have gone to such a package would care to comment.

TIA,
Adam

http://www.amsterdamcentral.net