Booth Martin wrote:
Could you let them enter 5 & blank and then when you read the screen, do an evalr ScrField = %trimr(ScrField) ?

Or better yet, do:

monitor;
evalr ScrField = %editc(%dec(ScrField:2:0):'X');
on-error;
// ScrField isn't a valid number,
// take appropriate action.
endmon;

This converts it to a numeric field, then converts it back to a character field. If they typed '5 ' it'd return '05'. If they typed '55' it'd return 55. If they type 'AB' it'd detect that the field isn't a number.