Michael_Schutte@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
To keep us in this misery.
I'd have thought this particular horse was well dead and beaten.

My decision tree:

1. If I need to process multiple records, use SETLL (should be self-evident)

2. If I only have one record or no records, use CHAIN

This is pretty simple. The performance variations are almost zero, and the coding simplicity of each approach is hard to beat. I particularly like using SETLL and %equal in loops where special processing is required for no records found.

From a performance standpoint, the fastest is SETLL, READ because it allows blocking. Note that this is READ, though, not READE, which means you have to do your own key checking - that's the point Barbara always stresses. So, if you're writing long-running batch processing programs that have to process large amounts of data, then it might be worth it to write your own key checking, as long as you heed Barbara's warnings on the subject.

But from a standpoint of smaller transactions, especially interactive ones, the decision should be pretty simple.

Joe