Adam,

In essence, if you can do subroutines, you can use procedures instead when working with subfiles. Prototypes, by the way, are, briefly, merely the list of parameters passed to-from the procedure.

For example, since I always use Load All subfiles, I can code the mainline (or controlling procedure):

DOW not eoj;
Start_Subfile(); // Clear the subfile
Build_List(); // Retrieve the information needed
Put_Subfile(); // Display the subfile
ENDDO;

[eoj, by the way, is a named indicator for F3.]

Now, based upon my understanding of your scenario, you might want to substitute the Build_List() with something like:

SELECT;
WHEN (condition 1);
Build_List_1();
WHEN (condition 2);
Build_List_2()
// etc.
ENDSL;

Each Build_List_x would control which logical to use and would, in turn invoke a separate procedure to load the data elements into the subfile record.
But you could, also, just have one Build_List procedure and within it control the setting and reading of the appropriate LF. This works for me when the LF's have the same field names (i.e., it's just the order that's different). If the field names are different, the multiple Build_List example would probably be the way to go.

In my dotage I'm finally getting to the point of using embedded SQL to select the records into a cursor and just fetch the records into each subfile record.

Jerry C. Adams
IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale
office: 615-995-7024