I think this isn't a black and white situation. After being a consultant
for the past four years or so I must say that in *some* shops, not only is
RPG dying (not dead, yet) but the RPG programmers are dying with it. Some
shops just don't hire individuals who are willing to update their knowledge
set because to some extent they have been quite successful with where they
have stayed, but unfortunately it has caught up with them 10 years later and
now we have the current situation.

On the flip side there are also the companies that leverage RPG to it's
strengths along with the latest features. These companies thrive on the
System i and their only danger is the dwindling popularity which causes
hiring to become much more difficult (which I have experienced first hand).

In the end every language out there goes through these phases because there
is an awkwardly large sector of enterprise IT that jumps ship to Koolaid
technologies as soon as they come out. In the end it gives us the mess we
have that requires SOA within our intranets. I will note however that RPG's
phase of being on the downside has gone on much longer than most :-)

To sum up my comments: Yes, RPG suffers from "un-popularity" but it is very
capable of still meeting a vast array of business needs in a timely matter
based on its excellent infrastructure/integration.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com