Chuck,

With all due respect, I disagree.

1) Does the official SQL state that a read trigger may only be used as an auditing function, thereby there must be a requirement to prevent changes to the buffer?

2) Using your logic, all other applicable triggers (add and update) should also prevent buffer updates. Since that is not the case, I believe that a read trigger should allow the same capability.

3) As I pointed out in my original post, a read trigger would be the only way to implement encryption without application program changes.

-mark