Aha! I found the post about overriding STDERR and STDOUT, and I read the
entire java error message:
Mar 21, 2008 9:25:09 PM
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSChannelenableSSL
WARNING: TDSChannel ( ConnectionID:1 TransactionID:0x0000000000000000) SSL
handshake failed: null
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The driver could not
establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure
at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java:195)

at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Exception.java:41)

at java.sql.SQLException.<init>(SQLException.java:40)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.<init>(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.terminate(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSChannel.throwSSLConnectionFailed(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSChannel.enableSSL(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connectHelper(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.loginWithoutFailover(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connect(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver.connect(Unknown
Source)

But I am not sure why it would be using SSL... I am not specifying SSL, but
maybe that is a requirement. Is this telling me that I am missing a
protocol driver?