Robert Munday wrote:
The manager on my new project has asked me to derive a list of RPG
technical questions for a programmer interview she is conducting
later today. The company is coming off of two old platforms (COBOL
and Lansa) and their intent is to do all development in RPGIV, /Free
and embedded SQL. They have been burned previously by a programmer
or two who represented mucho experience only to find that they did
not know sh** from Shinola.

If you have questions to submit which are thoughtful and moderately
involved, please send them to me offline at RWMunday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Q: "What is The RPG Program Cycle, and what is it good for?"

A: It is an implicit "do-until-completed" loop, with implicit file I/O available if needed, that is found in all RPG programs unless explicitly disabled.

In addition to its original purpose of report generation, it provides
a simple way to implicitly perform a given operation on all records of a
file, or to set up a program to implicitly repeat any operation (such as a user interaction) until a "work completed" condition is raised.

And I do hope the fellow(s) who "did not know sh** from Shinola" didn't get a job as a shoeshine! (Or as a stablehand, for that matter!)