ALIAS would be fine if it made more sense to someone who used it 20 years
ago. I just want the functionality. It would be nice if it had the
capability of doing both if different... where it would create another DS
and base it on the first one so if you change one you are changing the
other one.

Thanks,
Robert Newton
EDPS
Electronic Data Processing Services
Software Engineer
rnewton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This communication is confidential and is intended to be privileged. If
there is a problem with this transmission, please contact the sender. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee
or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
communication is strictly prohibited.

rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent by:
rpg400-l-bounces@ To
midrange.com RPG programming on the AS400 /
iSeries <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
02/25/2008 04:16
PM Subject
Re: Externally Described DS with
SQL Column Names
Please respond to
RPG programming
on the AS400 /
iSeries
<rpg400-l@midrang
e.com>

By the way, I think naming(sql) would be bad form as DDS supported ALIAS a
few decades ago. I distinctly remember a former coworker (on the client
server end) asking me about this because they used some nice SQL names and
their customer used a bunch of OS/400 names and wanted to know how to
support both without either having to change code.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

RNewton@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
02/25/2008 02:58 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Externally Described DS with SQL Column Names

I have thought to myself that maybe it would be possible to write a
precompiler that could parse through the d-specs and read that custom
keyword of "naming(*sql)" or something. It would basically replace the eds
d-spec with a regular ds with all of the SQL column names brought in. That
way the normal compiler could pick up after it and not step on anything.

Is it even possible to write a custom precompiler and hook it into the
normal compile routine... like a pre-pre-sql compiler?

Something like this maybe:

d extFile e ds extname(myFile) qualified inz
d naming(*sql) <--- This would
be nice

/free
exec sql
SELECT f.myLongSQLFieldName
INTO :extFile.myLongSQLFieldName
FROM myFile as f;
/end-free

Thanks,
Robert Newton
EDPS
Electronic Data Processing Services
Software Engineer
rnewton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This communication is confidential and is intended to be privileged. If
there is a problem with this transmission, please contact the sender. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee
or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
communication is strictly prohibited.

rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent by:
rpg400-l-bounces@ To

midrange.com RPG programming on the AS400 /
iSeries <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

02/25/2008 02:43
PM Subject

Re: Externally Described DS with
SQL Column Names
Please respond to
RPG programming
on the AS400 /
iSeries
<rpg400-l@midrang
e.com>

I think several would use it but, if it was a priority constraint within
IBM we'd rather they spend the development dollars elsewhere. I am hoping
that a resolution would be as simple as a keyword that says whether to use
long names or short names and defaults to the current short names.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

RNewton@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
02/25/2008 02:37 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Externally Described DS with SQL Column Names

I had not considered that but I will do so. Thank you for the link.

In the interum, is this feature something anyone else would care to have,
or am I way off in left field by myself, as usual?

Thanks,
Robert Newton
EDPS
Electronic Data Processing Services
Software Engineer
rnewton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This communication is confidential and is intended to be privileged. If
there is a problem with this transmission, please contact the sender. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee
or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
communication is strictly prohibited.

rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent by:
rpg400-l-bounces@ To

midrange.com RPG programming on the AS400 /
iSeries <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

02/25/2008 02:04
PM Subject

Re: Externally Described DS with
SQL Column Names
Please respond to
RPG programming
on the AS400 /
iSeries
<rpg400-l@midrang
e.com>

A somewhat cursory glance tells me you're out of luck. Have you thought
about opening up a Design Change Request?
https://www-912.ibm.com/r_dir/ReqDesChange.nsf/Request_for_Design_Change?OpenForm

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

RNewton@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
02/25/2008 01:45 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Externally Described DS with SQL Column Names

Hi all,

I have this craving to use the longer SQL column names in my externally
described datastructures. It will make coding much more efficient when the
field names are self describing. Plus I use the intellisense feature in
WDSc (ctrl+space with the outline built) and this would really be handy in
combination with that tool. Then again, if the intellisense feature would
include the description of the fields this would not bug me as much. Oh,
and while I'm on it... why should we have to create the outline. That
thing
takes days to build when I have a few eds's in my program! Couldn't it run
as a background process always updating as you make changes to your
program?

So, does anyone know any tricks I can perform on my D spec to get the SQL
names rather than the 10 position ones?

Below is an example of what I am talking about:

d extFile e ds extname(myFile) qualified inz

/free
exec sql
SELECT f.myLongSQLFieldName
INTO :extFile.MYLSQLFNAM <--- this is ugly
FROM myFile as f;
/end-free

I would much rather be able to:

d extFile e ds extname(myFile) qualified inz

/free
exec sql
SELECT f.myLongSQLFieldName
INTO :extFile.myLongSQLFieldName