Again... Using *CURRENT/*PRV signatures does not solve this problem. Whether they use a hard-coded signature, or whether they use *CURRENT/*PRV doesn't matter -- both will have the same problem.

If you deleted all of the *PRV signatures, you could force a re-bind. Or if you changed the hard-coded signature you could force a re-bind. But, hard-coded signature and using *CURRENT/*PRV behave the same way.

Though, hopefully our friends who are software vendors do regression testing!! Hopefully they have a system in place to make certain they don't break backward-compatibility if they expect to sell their tools to vendors!

Yikes, imagine if we had to re-bind all of our programs on each release upgrade of i5/OS, because the RPG runtime or the system APIs changed the order of exports in their service programs. As it is, it's hard to get i5/OS upgraded, but imagine if we had to re-bind all of our programs with each release upgrade!!

Software houses need to provide backward-compatible software -- at least, MOST of the time they need to. On the rare occasion that breaking compatibility is necessary, changing the version number in a signature is a lot easier than deleting all of the *PRV blocks. In any of these cases, folks need to learn what they're doing -- which isn't a big deal, since it juuuuuust isn't that difficult that all of your customers should suffer.

M. Lazarus wrote:
Scott,

A software vendor installs a *SRVPGM to be utilized by clients' software.

Scenario:
Signature is hardcoded.

Version 1 has two exports.

Version 2 with 3 exports gets shipped and installed.

If the manual signature has not changed, the new version will not throw an error if the calling programs have not been rebound. This may be a desired behavior, if the new version handles it properly. But the oversight may allow undesirable results if an export was dropped.

-mark