I have found that adding a constriant not only protects the integrity, but also makes the queries a lot faster.
Is my experience rare, or has anybody else had similar experiences?

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

<snip>
For example, your code above fails miserably if there is no item master. And as we all know, item masters disappear. </snip>
Especially in applications, like BPCS, that:
- refuses to put a primary key on any table
- defines their files using DDS
- refuses to use referential constraints or any other form of constraint.

Most of what you said Joe makes sense. Walden brings in the point about rethinking your application.

A compromise between the two would be using Left outer joins and evaluating actions to perform based on the appearance of null, or default, values. Granted, that still doesn't cover some special pricing options. The argument to that is externalizing the pricing to a UDF. Which, should be doable, but I suspect the number of parameters having to be passed to the UDF could start to get quite large. And, sooner or later, I/O is involved and the argument pops back up.

Joe, I knew you wouldn't be able to resist this last throw of the gauntlet.

Rob Berendt