Hi Prevesh

Short answer - No. Short answer - Yes.

There is not a simple answer, because of several conflicting assumptions in your question. As a new programmer on the iSeries, you need a really good understanding of the file systems. Allow me to point you to some places to learn what you need, then mention some of the problems with this question, I think. I believe your time will bear fruit - without it you will make mistakes over and over, wasting your time.

OK, first of all - do you know about the HELP key? As a person that is new to the iSeries, you may not have an appreciation for the CL interface - every IBM command has extensive help for it - just CALL QCMD, then type the command, then press F1 to get to the help. Many of the things you ask about will be answered there - seriously! Or you can type the command anywhere - even PDM - and press F4. Then press F1 - if your cursor is on a parameter, you get the help for that parameter - it's part of the whole help text. If on a blank part of the screen, you get all the help.

Second, there is a manual on IFS Concepts at IBM - there you will read about the difference between stream files and library objects. That understanding is crucial. If you go to

www.iseries.ibm.com/infocenter

and select any version, then open up the "i5/OS Information Center". There go to the "Files and file systems" link. In there go to the "Integrated file systems" link - there is a printable version of the information, as well as a concepts section - study that carefully.

An interesting site is a summary of iSeries architecture, intended for those porting to the iSeries from other platforms. The link is

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/enable/site/porting/iseries/overview/overview.html

It's parent link may also be helpful

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/enable/site/porting/iseries/

You can learn a lot from this part of IBM's web site.

The problems with the question!

1. You probably CAN use CPYFRMIMPF to copy something from a library, just that no one does it. The reason it MIGHT be possible is, that you CAN refer to a library object using path naming, as is done with non-library objects - things off of /root.
2. No one puts PC-style files in a library object - that is not the purpose of library objects.
3. CPYFRMIMPF will do you NO good when run against an Excel file, because those files have special structured data that the command will not convert to a physical file.