Tom: I have tried to set the length to 50 which would accommodate the lengths of all the fields I want to reference. When I do this and try to get data that is less then the defined length of 50 I get an error. When I look at the value of the variable using debug I can see 50 chars of data in the variable.

Here is my call to the procedure:

FieldToCheck = %addr(filerec.PLCD);
CheckValue = TPLCD;
FillArrayAll(FieldToCheck:CheckValue:ArrayValue);

FieldToCheck is a pointer to the varible that will hold data once a record is read. At this point there is no data. I fill the memory on a read in the called procedure. This field is a 1A field. I do not have any problem if I define the variable in the called procedure as 1A :

P FillArrayAll B
D FillArrayAll PI
D FieldToCheck *
D CheckValue 50A
D ArrayValue 50A
D*
DCheckField S 1A based(FieldToCheck) VARYING

My question is How do I define the varible CheckField so that when FieldToCheck points to a variable that is say 10A in length Checkfield will adjust accordingly. My understanding from the documentation is that by using BASED(pointer) it should adjust itself but that doesn't seem to be working that way and I was hoping someone has done this before and can tell me what I'm doing wrong or if this can't be done at all.

Don Wereschuk
ISD - Programmer/Analyst
Simcoe Parts Service Inc.
Phone: 705-435-7814 Ex: 302
Fax: 705-435-6746
mailto:dwereschuk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Save the Cheerleader - Save the world" - Hiro Nakamura