From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Ryan
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2007 11:33 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: Multi- Occurrence Data Structure

Good point...the same number of people that know wtf a spokeshave is
know the RPG cycle.

On Dec 17, 2007 12:30 PM, James Lampert <jamesl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
qsrvbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Yet we have no problem accepting the implicit "Cycle" that's a
fundamental aspect of SQL set-at-time processing. We _expect_ developers
to understand it. I'm not clear on when/why one language is acceptable
for "Cycle" encouragement and another must be considered to be
'obscuring' or confusing.

Well said!

And to the individual who pointed out that RPG originated as a language
for non-programmers, very true: by all accounts, the peculiar syntax was
designed to be intuitive to the mailroom kid who'd taught himself how to
set up a plugboard-programmable unit record machine.

If Grandpa's spokeshave is sitting at the bottom of your toolbox, don't
throw it out. Hang onto it, and learn what it's good for. It may be old,
but you never know when it might come in handy. And new spokeshaves
probably aren't cheap.

--
James H. H. Lampert
Touchtone Corporation