Am posting this to both the general list and to the RPG list, in order to tell the most people I can just how great this list is!

I have a pretty huge program that I can't pare down or split up yet - no time - and I just finished putting in procedure calls to utilities that do things like quoting strings for insertion into an SQL statement, or double-quoting request data from a web page that could have apostrophes. Well, after doing all this nice proper coding, I blew the automatic storage in the compiler - got this symptom string -

5722 F/QBNCRTMD MSGMCH4216 RC02

Called our friendly partnerworld phone support, he had no records with this message ID Basically got the good enough answer that the program was too big, something had to go. So I split these routines into a module, to bind in later. Same problem.

So I google on the program name and the message ID and came up with a 2004 posting on RPG400-L -

http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l/200402/msg00440.html

The gist of it was, make the parameters shorter - that was not a very good answer in the posting, since it was a CGIDEV2 function that had the long parameter. But I am in control of this, so I took them all down from 32765 to 1000 - it compiled - went to 16384, compiled - 24576, compiled - 28672 - ran out of automatic storage. So I know when to stop.

Anyway - these lists have saved my bacon today - thank you - thank you to you all that are here.

Going home now!!!
Vern