hmmmm... its been a long time, but I am betting I was wrong way back then, too. :)

Thanks, Joe. And thanks for being nice about it.
Joe Pluta wrote:
From: Booth Martin

hmmm... I don't read the manual well enough sometimes, but I believe
that the MR indicator, and the file processing, is such that the next
02 is always there, and known. Otherwise there would be no way for the
program to know which record to grab next. In other words, when MR is
on, then 01 and 02 are also on. If there is one 01 record and 5 matching
02 records, then MR will stay on while all six records are processed. If
MR is off then we know we have a widow or an orphan.

Then again I could be wrong as heck. :)

Wrong as heck <grin>. Although I did have to manually test this before I
posted, just to make sure I wasn't the one who was wrong as heck.

You get one pass through the cycle for each record, primary or secondary.
If there are matching records, you get one pass for each file with *INMR on
and one and only one record identifying indicator on.

As far as I have been able to determine, the record identifying indicators
in a primary/secondary relationship are always mutually exclusive. It
doesn't matter how many files in the group (remember, you can have multiple
secondary files) or even if you don't use MR (in which case, all records
from the primary are read, then all records in the first secondary, and so
on). Only one of those indicators will be on, which identifies the last
record read.

If you were doing a three-way match (that is, one primary file and two
secondaries), then you'd have to wait until the THIRD file was read before
you would have data in all three sets of file fields.

Joe