Cassidy, Alan wrote:

On occasion, around v4.5-v5.1, I found strange stuff like that, where
one field would change and it would pop up in an unrelated field. IIRC,
the fields were next to each other in the D-specs, and the proble was
solved by moving the lines around in the D-specs.

Alan, you should probably say that the problem was "hidden again" rather than "solved".

If you can make a problem go away by reordering the fields on the D specs, you almost certainly have a storage-corruption error in your code (usually caused by a parameter mismatch). If a change to FLD1 causes FLD2 to be changed, it is most likely caused by passing FLD1 as a parameter, where the called program defines the parameter to be larger.
By moving FLD1 and FLD2 around, you can change your program so that the storage that follows FLD1 is some storage that your program doesn't care about, so it doesn't notice the corruption. But you can't be sure that some compiler or system change won't reorder the fields again, and cause the problem to resurface, although it probably wouldn't have the exact same symptom.

If it ever pops up again, it would be better to find out exactly what operation is causing the unrelated field to get changed. Then fix that operation rather than moving the fields around.