<snip>

What would be the most expedient way to convert a 6.0 numeric field that

represents a date in MMDDYY format to a 6.0 numeric field that
represents a date in YYMMDD order? The resultant numeric is used in an
SQL statement comparing it to a numeric (not a date) field. The old
technique of YYMMDD = MMDDYY * 10000.0001 appears not to work because
the program is cranky at runtime about the result field not being large
enough.

Since the compare is a numeric I figured that the math would be
numeric. Or, is using a date field and converting it to a numeric host
variable for the SQL the way to go?
</snip>

Beginning to sound like a broken record.

As others have indicated, date conversion in RPG is easy unless it is an
edited character field like 1/1/07. Then RPG doesn't handle it.

In SQL, download my UDF iDate at www.think400.dk/downloads.htm.

iDate will take a date in decimal, char, edited char or integer and
returns a date data type.

Select iDate('2007-01-01','*CCYMD') As DateField from SYSIBM/SYSDUMMY1

Returns

DATEFIELD
01/01/2007

Select iDate(1070601) As DateField From SYSIBM/SYSDUMMY1

Returns assuming your default system date is *CYMD.

DateField
01/01/2007