Got this working. Had to change my total conditioning indicators from a
combination of the L1 and the record identifying indicators to a
combination of L1 and another indicator. This other indicator is a
combination of:
a - the record identifying indicator
b - whether the file is out of comparision (the old 03 indicator)
Tried to manipulate the record identifying indicator at total time. No
hard errors - it just didn't work. So now I have:
CL1 exsr l1sub
CLR exsr l1sub

/free
begsr l1sub;