I did the same thing, Tom: Internally-defined printer files. The only way to define externally-described printer files was either manually, which can be painful, or RLU, which is more painful. When WDSc came bundled, though, and included Code Designer, my life changed (hallelujah!). I still wind up fine-tuning the DDS manually upon occasion, but by then it's just a matter of adding a keyword (HIGHLIGHT, UNDERLINE, or such) here and there.

Is EXCPT even recognized by RSE as a free-form op-code? Since switching to externally-described printer files, I haven't had to use it, so I wouldn't know.

* Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
615.995.7024
fax
615.995.1201
email
jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Tom Liotta wrote:
Tommy.Holden wrote:
6. Re: OF indicator confusion (Tommy.Holden)

i still prefer using
internal print files (O-specs) the only time i use external print files
is when i have to do changes to fonts or using barcodes.

I used internal O-specs all the way up to the point of where I had to solve a basic business problem in which the simple answer seemed to be found through converting the output to an external printer file. The resulting solution was so elegant and the program shrank to such a degree that I've never created internal O-specs since. (The C-specs were the best part of the shrinkage.)

Although that was a dozen or so years ago, I kicked myself for quite a while over delaying as long as I did.

Why do we so often love externally-described data files and externally-described display files; but printer files...? Seems strange once the changeover is done.

(Is that how "pod-people" feel after waking up?)

Tom Liotta