Thanks, Booth!

I setup 2 data structures to start with:

d savmstr e ds extname(hclmmas) prefix(o)

d mstrDS ds likerec(clmmas)

then I brought in the data:

chain (cmyrin: cmycin) clmmas; // get data for pgm
// ekb13 begin block
chain(n) (cmyrin: cmycin) clmmas mstrDS; // load DS
unlock hclmmas; // release lock
savmstr = mstrDS;
// ekb13 end block

So now I have the data saved in a data structure, still have the fields
available (no rewrite), and no lock on the file.

Thanks everyone!