Hi,
if the reader has a connector that fits the keyboard connector of the
terminal that should work.
We have some terminals from the german company HOB.
They have standard DIN keyboard connectors and our handheld scanners have
ps2 connectors.
So we connected them via DIN to ps2 connectors to the terminal.

There are some Keyboards out there (e.g. from cherry), which have barcode
readers build in.
I haven't seen this in production use before, but it could save some work.

Important is, that you use wedge scanners. rs232 scanners won't work with
dumb terminals
since you need a software on the computer you plug the scanner in.

Automatic submitting is a problem, i don't use display processing that
much,
but i think you can enter special chars in your input fields on which the
display is submitted.
Or you specify a max length for the read in string after which the display
is submitted.

iirc we have the max length approach in some warehousing programs (where
we know the expected data length) or we let our users press a key to
submit the data.

best regards,
Martin

--

Hello Martin,

Thanks a lot, I now have some information to start with. Can this card
reader function on a green screen emulation screen of does it require GUI
based stuff. We have our application developed using green screens & like
you mentioned we would like the bar code reader to scan the data & update
those input screen directly. Is this possible ???

Thanks & best regards
Ewart