for position to you would have to "crawl" through the user space entries...
Thanks,

==>..(I "think") I would want to either sort the entries in place (why not),
using the retrieve-user-space-pointer QUSPTRUS API, and then qsort(), since in
this cases the returned formats are all fixed length (IIRC).

My second choice would be single-page subfiles, driven by keyed data queues,
with a technique described by Kevin Vandever in his excellent article, where he
makes it easy:

http://www.itjungle.com/mpo/mpo052302-story05.html

His examples relate to file maintenance, but they can be adapted to this
situation by copying the object list to a "base" data queue, then pretending
that this "base queue" takes the place of the database file.

With the keyed data queues, you can data-structure the entries however you
want. and the keys, give the user multiple sort possibilites, etc.

I think that's very telling! Most people don't even know about the 1000
record limit in Google because they never page down that far. If that's
the case, what are the odds that they'll page down to the bottom of a 9999
record subfile?

___What I do with Google (or Altavista, which is the one I'm using nowadays
more) is to try to think of more words to narrow it down to what I really want,
and that's why I think we should let them use "filters" on the fly, pretty
much, too, besides also the position-to...

--Alan