From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bryan Dietz
Sent: dinsdag 15 mei 2007 14:57
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: today's how-best-to question...

I have a how-best-to question:

I have a utility program that gets a list of objects using
the QUSLOBJ API then retrieves info about each object in the
list and displays in a subfile.

The problem I ran into is that if the list has more than 9999
records it
blows up the subfile.

As I see it I have two choices; "page at a time" subfile or a
UIM panel.

I know that a UIM panel would not have the 9999 record
limitation and I have used them.

I can see that a "page at a time" subfile works well for data
from a file, or "file like" source. I am struggling to
figure out how best do the same with the list api data in the
user space.

I am thinking of cranking thru the list api and building a
temp dtaq or file to store the data then read from there to
populate the "page at a time" subfile. I worry about the
performance having to essentially read the data twice to show
the first page.

I am not inclined to use the initial user space as I would
have to keep retrieving the object info for each page up/down request.

Bryan
This is the RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries (RPG400-L)