I read in the Business section of this morning's paper that IBM was going to start putting the PS3 chip on "mainframes." No specifics as top what mainframes meant, could be just the zSeries, could include the i and, even, p.

The PS3 chip is the one that IBM and Sony developed for kick butt graphics on the Playstation. Not being a double E myself, I'm not sure what the actual implications for the UI on the System i5 might be. But with the myriad of assaults (under the radar for the most part) by IBM on M$ turf, I wouldn't be surprised if this was another one in some form or fashion.

Or maybe it's just a graphics card.

* Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i5/iSeries Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
615.995.7024
fax
615.995.1201
email
jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Bob Cozzi wrote:
Aaron,
Believe me, I've been a proponent of GUI with RPG for decades. Believe me, I
drank that Kool-Aid long before you learned to drive. I welcome you to the
on-going battle. To me, Web/Browser interfaces via CGILIB or others are the
closest we've come to a great RPG GUI so far. The guys at eXport Ventures did a
great graphical, event driven RPG user interface years ago--but it didn't take
off very much.

Most of this event-driven stuff really needs an OS that can handle dispatching
the event messages. Certainly OS/400 can do that, but it doesn't. However, a Web/Browser interface can already do event-driven stuff via AJAX and
regular CGI calls to RPG or any language. What would be beneficial is the
ability to "AJAX to" a subprocedure directly rather than only to a program. I'm
not certain if that's much better from a performance standpoint than just
leaving a CGI program active in its A/G and reactivating it, but it would be
cooler. :)

-Bob Cozzi
www.i5PodCast.com
Ask your manager to watch i5 TV