Midrange-l perhaps?

SOP's are great.  However hard and fast rules are often inhibitors, not
productivity enhancements.  What may work for one is terribly complex for
another.

IBM has published papers, redbooks, etc on handling record locks since the
first ISAM file was created.  Yet there are still developers that refuse
to follow any guidelines in coding applications. Most people choke on
Read header file record with lock
  Update a myriad of line files, etc.
  Finally update header file releasing lock.
Instead of
Read header file without lock
  Update a myriad of line files, etc.
  Update the header file
So my suggestion is to fix the first application.  However most won't
because the pig came from a vendor and touching a pig is unholy and
therefore they'll use bolt ons.

Let me understand.  You are using a trigger on a file.  This file could,
theoretically, be updated from any number of different applications, like
UPDDTA or this new batch interface you are trying.  If they use something
else than the vendor supplied program then you want to fire off the
trigger and perform the appropriate updates.  If this is a close
approximation then search the archives for evaluating your call stack.
Have your trigger program check the call stack.  If the vendor supplied
program is ruling the roost, ignore the update.

Rob Berendt