Thanks Billy,

That did work perfectly.  I will keep it for reference if (when) I have
to do it again.

Sheri
****
date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:09:47 -0600
from: Billy Rowe <billyrowe@xxxxxxx>
subject: Re: sql update

   Sheri,

   Just as an fyi, what is probably happening is your trying to update a
   customer for co 2 that doesn't have a corresponding customer in co 1
   (i.e.   returns NULL value ).

   This should take care of that situation:

   update cust cus
   ----  update cust_store value with value from corresponding co 1
customer.
      set cus.cust_store = ( select substr( cust_store, 2, 6 )
                              from  cust
                             where  cust_co_no  =  1
                              and   cust_no     =  cus.cust_no )
   ---- only update customers for co 2 that have a corresponding co 1
   customer( i.e. so no nulls are returned ).
   where  cus.cust_co_no  =  2
    and   cus.cust_no in( select cust_no
                           from  cust
                          where  cust_co_no  =  1 )