Well I think I answered it ;-)

But maybe not.  Then again, I'm not sure you answered it either Joe.

The OP said, "but I ONLY need those latest dates considered in the
count" so I think he's going to need MAX in there some where.  So I
think your second solution is out.  As to the first solution, even
though you've got MAX in there it's not being used to select the records
to count.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what the OP wants, I'm going to offer up my
solution again in case it was missed.

 SELECT COUNT(LDSUBC) INTO :WKCOUNT
 FROM BANKHEDR INNER JOIN LRDETAIL
         ON QHSTCD = LDSTCD AND QHAREA = LDAREA AND QHBANK =
         LDBANK AND LDDGRP = QHHGRP AND LDCATC = :WKCATCD
 WHERE QHHGRP = :WKGROUP AND QHRSTA = 'A' AND QHMAIN = :WKMAIN
   and LDQDAT = ( SELECT MAX(LDQDAT)
                  FROM LRDETAIL
                )

Side note to the OP:
Are you sure that COUNT(LDSUB) is what you want?  To get a count of the
number of rows, one would normally use just COUNT(*).  COUNT(LDSUBC)
gives you the count of the number of non-null values in LDSUBC.
COUNT(DISTINCT LDSUBC) gives you the count of distinct non-null values.

I use COUNT(*) and COUNT(DISTINCT whatever) all the time, but have never
needed COUNT(whatever).  If LDSUBC doesn't ever contain null values,
then COUNT(LDSUBC) gives the same results at COUNT(*) but as noted, goes
about it in a different way.  If you want to count rows, you should use
COUNT(*).

HTH,

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America