Hi Mike,

Is there any trick available to create a multiple occurrence data
structure and define the size at run time?
[SNIP]
my application is used as a stored procedure that returns a result set and so I can't use arrays.

The "SET RESULT SET" SQL statement can specify the number of rows to return. For example

     C/exec sql Set Result Sets Array :MYMODS for :COUNT Rows
     C/end-exec

Your program will have to keep track of how many elements you've loaded into the MODS and set the number of rows (in the COUNT variable in my example, above) appropriately.

As far as how many occurrences exist in your MODS, I strongly recommend that you allocate all 1000 of them as a normal MODS. The unusused occurrences won't matter. The amount of memory they occupy won't have any significant impact on the system.

It's possible to base your MODS on a pointer, and allocate only as many as you need -- exactly the same way you do it with an array -- but there's really no value to doing so (either with a MODS or an array!) if you only have 1000 elements.

You can hurt the performance of your program, and make a program that's very difficult to maintain, using techniques like this. Sure, you may save a few kilobytes or even megabytes of memory, but who the heck cares about that? The iSeries will store unused portions of your program on disk, only loading it into memory if nothing else needs the memory. So the amount of memory you use really doesn't have a sigificant impact. Certainly nothing worth the cost of making your program hard to maintain!!

Even if the memory usage is a problem, big deal. Buy another 512mb memory module for your system. What does that cost? $300 or something? By comparison to the extra days it'll take you to write and debug yoru program, and by comparison to the years of extra time maintaining your program, the cost of an extra memory module is extremely cheap. Don't create a maintenance nightmare over a couple of kilobytes!