From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Peter Dow (ML)
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 11:26 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: Indicator Redux

Hi Dave,

Maybe a little historical perspective would help.  RPG has always had
just 99 indicators.  At some point, programmers were allowed to access
them as if they were in an array (the *IN array).  After display files
were introduced, they started eating up all the available indicators in
order to position cursors, set display attributes and what not.  Pretty
soon, there weren't enough indicators for both the display file and RPG.

The solution was to allow display files to have their own set of 99
indicators.  This is done by specifying the INDARA keyword in the
display file, and the INDDS keyword on the file spec in the RPG program.
Once you've done this, RPG has its 99 indicators in the *IN array, and
the display file references the 99 indicators in the data structure
specified in the INDDS keyword on the file spec.

Now it is possible to have the display file's indicator data structure
overlay the *IN array, by making the data structure based, and having
its basing pointer point to the beginning of the *IN array.  If you do
this, you're back to one set of 99 indicators, which negates the
intention of having a separate set of indicators.  And it's a waste of
coding time, since you have the same effect by leaving off the INDARA
and INDDS keywords.

The only reason I've ever seen for mapping a data structure to the *IN
array is to allow naming the 99 RPG indicators so you don't have to use
*IN34 or *IN(27), which are not very meaningful.  But you don't need to
use INDARA or INDDS to do this.  Simply define a based data structure
whose pointer points to the address of *IN01.  This data structure does
NOT have to be specified in an INDDS keyword.  You don't even need a
display file.  In other words, you could have a program with an INDARA
display file where INDDS points to data structure ABC, and a separate
based data structure XYZ that overlays the *IN array.  That way you can
name the 99 RPG indicators and the 99 display file indicators.

hth,
*Peter Dow* /
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 793-9050
pdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:pdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> /

Turnidge, Dave wrote:
This "pointer" thing is new for me, as far as USING it is concerned.
If I'm reading your code correctly, you are setting up a data
structure over the *IN array. Yes? Where or how does this get related
to the INDARR and INDDS? Would I use the *IN pointer method INSTEAD of

INDARR and INDDS, or use both?