From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of donna lester
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2006 4:27 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Character in CAST argument not valid

Does any one see any issue with below SQL ?
  I keep getting error "Character in CAST argument not valid."

   UPDATE FILE SET FIELD2 = digits((Cast(FIELD2 as dec(10)))) where
length(trim(FIELD2)) < 10 AND FIELD1 IN ('NYC1','NYC2')

donna lester <donna_lester_ny@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Character in CAST argument not valid.

I keep getting above error though I checked spelling of field in CAST
several times, spelling is perfect.

Donna

rick baird wrote:
Donna,

update FILE
set FIELD2 = digits(dec(substr(FIELD2, 1, 10))) where FIELD1 IN
('NYC1','NYC2') and subst(FIELD2,11,8) = ' '