No, this is using RPG on the iSeries.

Unix domain sockets are those that use a special IFS object (of type socket) to enable communication between different programs on the same computer.

You can use Unix-domain sockets from RPG.

   fd = socket(AF_UNIX: SOCK_STREAM: 0);
   fd = socket(AF_UNIX_CCSID: SOCK_STREAM: 0);

I did see some mention of that in the docs...  I didn't
think it applied in this case.

The only reason I suggested this is because that's the only type of socket that I know of that uses CCSIDs.

Since you didn't say, and since it doesn't sound like you're familiar with Unix domain sockets, I guess I'll assume you're using internet sockets, probably TCP stream sockets. But, since they don't use CCSIDs (data is just transmitted as binary data -- just a stream of bits) I don't know what that has to do with the CCSID.

It's on the iSeries side that the issue seems to exist since I can chance the CCSID of the job from 935 back to 37 and it works fine.

Hmmm. Which API accepts character data that the CCSID would matter? Socket(), Listen(), Accept() Connect(), Recv(), Send(), Close()... none of these uses character data, except for the data that's send/received, and that's just binary data.

Other APIs, such as those that look up hostnames do use character data -- but they don't use descriptors! Though, under the covers I guess they could.

Do you know which API, specifically, is failing?