Cheers Birgitta,

Thats worked sort of, below is a snap shot of data, but I wasnt expecting
any dates earlier than 2001-11-01;

FLTITM     MYDATE
                 1993-02-20
V906195    1996-06-18
                 1994-11-10
                 1996-08-05
V027902    1992-07-02
                 1995-12-07
                 1993-06-30
                 1994-02-23
                 1997-10-07

So close yet so far...

             "HauserBirgitta"
             <Hauser@SSS-Softwa
             re.de>                                                     To
             Sent by:                   "RPG programming on the AS400 /
             rpg400-l-bounces+m         iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             crangle=cinetic-la                                         cc
             ndis.co.uk@midrang
             e.com                                                 Subject
                                        Re: 8s0 field into a date using
                                        SQL
             01/11/2006 10:20

             Please respond to
             RPG programming on
                the AS400 /
                  iSeries
             <rpg400-l@midrange
                   .com>

Hi,

before you can use a the scalar function SUBSTR you have to convert your
numeric values into a character string by using the scalar function DIGITS.
Also YYYY/MM/DD is not a valid character representation of a date. Valid
representations are YYYY-MM-DD, MM/DD/YYYY, DD.MM.YYYY.
Date is a reserved word for SQL and cannot be used as column name. You
either have to use a different name or to embedd date in double quotes
"date". If you use double quotes, field names are case sensitive i.e.
"Date"
<> "date" <> "DATE".
Instead of the double pipes you should prefer concat, because the double
pipes are not international and cannot be used with all languages.

 SELECT fltitm,
       substr(digits(faildt), 1, 4) concat '-' concat
       substr(digits(faildt), 5, 2) concat '-' concat
       substr(digits(faildt), 7, 2) as Mydate
       from faultlog WHERE DATE(substr(digits(faildt),1,4) concat '-'
concat
                                substr(digits(faildt), 5, 2) concat '-'
concat
                                substr(digits(faildt), 7, 2)) <=
CURRENT_DATE - 5 years

Last comment:
For the query above a table scann will be used, because access paths
(indexes or DDS described logical files) are only used when build over the
original fields in the physical files. By using a scalar function in you
case DATE(), SUBSTR(), DIGITS() an access path over faildt cannot be used.

Mit freunlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser

Brown)