I think it may be that, it did find 2 lines but then hung, I am
debugging it, but it's a large bear of a program.

Thanks everyone!

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Cassidy, Alan
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 12:09 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: Subfile hang

=> Sounds like it's in a loop cycle trying to do a CHAIN using the
subfile record number, but it's not incremented (staying at zero), or
there's no test to leave the loop on a number that's not returned.

For reading subfiles by record number:
(X) You have to clear the field that you're using to loop and read the
subfile.
(X) Initialize a value to start from in that field,
(X) Increment the record number field you use to CHAIN with each loop,
(X) And test for LEAVE-ing the loop, whether it's a not-found condition
(NRF) on the CHAIN, or a maximum that we have from when we filled the
subfile.

Anyway, those are things to look for when you get an error like that.

--Alan

HI, I was testing a subfile program and noticed this error message.
Interesting in that I had changed the input data that I had previously
been using and instead of one or 2 of these messages on the job log,
and
not effecting the program, the program hanged and it produced several
thousands of pages of this message. I am looking at what caused all of
this, perhaps there is some basic cause that I am not seeing?

"Message . . . . :   Subfile record not found.

Cause . . . . . :   The input operation to the subfile specified a
relati

  record number for which no active subfile record exists. Recovery  .
.

  See the Application Display Programming book, SC41-5715, for subfile

  processing. Possible choices for replying to message . . . . . . . .
.
"

Thanks,

Phil