Birgitta Hauser wrote:
qualified data structures are supported beginning with release V5R3,
but
nested data structures are not yet (not even under release V5R4)
supported.
As far as I remember there were also some problems with data
structures
defined with LIKEDS.

I wrote:
This isn't made
at all clear in the documentation that I saw (Embedded SQL Programming
V5R3, Data Access Modernization) - is there a better place to look?

That is, unless you read the whole thing :)  I think I read a section
about using data structures in embedded SQL and figured any caveats would
be listed there.  It turns out that on page 117 of _Embedded SQL
Programming V5R3_, it says:

"The precompiler will recognize a host structure defined using the LIKEDS
keyword. However, the SQL syntax for a host variable only allows using a
single level of qualification in an SQL statement. This means that if a
data structure DS has a subfield S1 which is defined like a data structure
with a subfield S2, an SQL statement cannot refer to S2 using the fully
qualified host variable name of DS.S1.S2. If you use S1.S2 as the host
variable reference, the precompiler will recognize it as DS.S1.S2. The
following additional restrictions apply:
- The top level structure, DS, cannot be an array.
- S1.S2 must be unique. That is, there must be no other valid names in the
program ending with S1.S2, such as a structure S1 with a subfield S1.S2,
or a structure DS3 with a subfield DS3.S0.S1.S2"

So, it seems that what I was trying to do is possible using partially
qualified names.  It seems that it might be a bit dangerous to do so,
because if someone comes along later and adds a definition which makes
S1.S2 non-unique, then their compile would fail in a rather confusing way.

Thanks again to everyone for their input, and I hope that the above helps
someone figure this out later.

Attention:
The above message and/or attachment(s) is private and confidential and is
intended
only for the people for which it is addressed. If you are not named in the
address
fields, ignore the contents and delete all the material. Thank you. Have a nice
day.

For more information on email virus scanning, security and content
management, please contact administrator@xxxxxxxxxxxx