Before deciding to go with the EFT solution, I had been working with the folks at ACOM. Had we decided to print checks, it would have been with their product. They offered a total solution, hardware and software. Here's a link to their web site, but there are other vendors of similar packages.

http://www.acom.com/iseries/ezpm400.html

Eduard Sluis wrote:
Thanks Wayne (and al the others),
Our customers are banks.
Normally we do not have to do this Cheque thing because cheques are more and
more a thing of the past.
In this case it is not a very big bank and because of lack of a national
clearing system they have an considerable total of cheques to print.
Not only Cheques 'on us' but also cheques issued for other banks they have
relations with (EURO cheques on the name of ABN-AMRO Amsterdam, USD cheques on
the name of 'Bank of America' NewYork, JPY cheques on the name of Bank of
Tokio, etc).
Those will have different formats and will be in different ways pre printed.
Some will be pre numbered other happily not (generating/administrating your own
numbers is far simpler than having someone to enter a number).
I guess we will have to use laser printers with sufficient tray's that are AFP
capable.
Oops, that opens up a lot of new challenges.
- AFP printing (never done)(longtime ago played a bit with PCL5 escape codes).
- All kind of spoolfile management (This user this printer, This Printerfile
this tray), Vaguely know how to do.

Any suggestion that could make life easier?

Kind regards,
Eduard Sluis.